Help People Build Businesses and Avoid Fake Media – Supporters can receive TEW book as one of the perks!
Launch Two Books That Helps People Make Better Marketing Decisions And Help Them Communicate Online Better
I am launching two nonfiction books, one that is aimed at small & medium size businesses that want to improve their sales and customer experience with digital marketing analytic, and a second that gets to the heart of why people are having bad communication online and off – from trolling to debates related to the 2016 election, bad communication is everywhere.
Book One: Breakthrough Measures
This marketing analytics book takes a look at how analytics can be used within your business to connect to your customers, helping businesses understand how to leverage their social media, their paid search, and their other offline marketing which is impacted. The book reflects over 8 years of experience and is preceded by articles written in CMSWire, All Analytics, and DMNews.
- Chapter 1 The Lay of the Land – This introduction covers the meaning behind current stats and trends, and looks at what technology and business resources should be in place. The reader will know how digital marketing should be set against business objectives 10 pg
- Chapter 2 Organizing Where The Journey Begins This section will touch upon key pieces that should be in place. This chapter will also include basic website code to help users know what can be done for simple tasks and for using a tag manager to organize tags. 20 pg
- Chapter 3 Search Basics This chapter covers the latest resources and steps for developing a search strategy. This chapter will cover developing a customer persona, inserted against site code, and how keywords are selected 20 pg
- Chapter 4 Mobile Basics This chapter covers the latest resources and steps for developing a mobile strategy. This chapter will cover how mobile SEO is managed and ideas for selecting a mobile landing page. A segment on apps development and how it relates to analytics will be addressed 15 pg
- Chapter 5 Ad Basics – Paid and Social This chapter covers the latest resources and steps for developing a paid search strategy. This chapter will cover the latest information from paid search ads and social ads. Google, Bing, Pinterest, Amazon, Facebook and Instagram will be covered. An explanation of varying the marketing message will be included. 20 pg
- Chapter 6 Social Media Basics This chapter covers the latest social media resources, and is meant to explain how a small business should manage across the platforms. This will touch upon social dashboards and be a bridge to analytics – strategies is to learn how to engage on a platform and measure a result. This chapter will focus on how to best manage content for varying platforms (content marketing, video/live recording). 25 pg
- Chapter 7 Analytics Reporting: Where To Look First This chapter covers the basic metrics and how the reporting can work for guiding a business decision regarding search, paid search, and social media 50pg
- Chapter 8 Analytics Reporting: Where To Look Next This chapter covers developing a segmentation that shows how customers are connecting to the site contents. Topics will include multichannel reporting, custom variables, custom reports, and filters 50 pg
- Chapter 9 Analytics Reporting: Advanced Measures This chapter covers the latest ideas and concepts for connecting metrics to business objectives, such as customer lifetime value. It will also cover some basic ideas for using advanced tools such as R programming and data mining based on GA. 40 pg
- Chapter 10 Visualizing The Breakthroughs This chapter covers simple dashboard concerns and keeping everyone on a small business team on-message with the results. This will include data visualization tools and plugins for Excel dashboards 30 pg
- Chapter 11 Repairman: Basic Analytic Diagnostics and Data Security This chapter covers simple diagnostic concerns that can arise with respect to analytics tags, page speed performance, and maintaining secure usage of data. 30 pg
- Chapter 12 Upgrade Your Marketing This chapter covers the how a small business should look at updated its content. It will provide resources for maintaining current to date with the latest digital marketing and technology trends 10 pg
Book Two: It Got Back To The Wrong People
This book, which its genesis is an offshoot of Breakthrough Measures, examines how digital technology & media combined with social behavior influences our collective means for expressing opinions and responding to comments. The impacts are widespread, from marketers whose brands now encounter people’s values in their efforts, to the everyday person, culminating in the aftermath of the 2016 US election.
People are interested in dialogue as long as it is meaningful. The book can help foster that dialogue.
People features an overview of how media and shifting public usage of technology connects to communication and social issues offline. The first chapters explain the digital influences. The second set shows examples within the arts and politics, as well as various cultures. The last chapters provide context, tips to discern issues, and recommendations on what to do. Anyone who reads it will learn, reflect, and enjoy the ideas to communicate effectively.
- Chapter 1 Big Mouth: A Brief History of How “It” Got Back To You Starting with an examination of a comment from Bill Cosby on his 2004 NAACP awards speech – nicknamed the “Pound Cake” speech – this chapter looks at some of the social issues and public events that have been impacted when exposed online. The chapter offers thoughts of how our comments on issues are observational, but leave out an examination of causal effects – and how such instances impacts communication and context surround social media online. This chapter will note well-known discussions in media, from entertainment, business, and government (which will also serve into the first few chapters as well).
- Chapter 2 “The Media” Reflects On You This chapter notes the history of the new broadcasts from the pre-cable days to now, and how our collective understanding of information has changed. People have the impression that the media is biased and unfair, but shifts in how information is presented means that it can be a mirror to ourselves rather than a collective, shared understanding. Media may be acting more as a mirror, just like the internet. This chapter ultimately will look at how our communication and everyday judgement have been impacted. Example: The media may be acting more as a mirror, similar to the internet (Filter Bubble advocated by Eli Pariser, Pop news coverage over the years (Michael Jackson, OJ Simpson trial) influencing coverage, consolidation of news media sources ); Fake news is forcing social media platforms to better police their content.
- Chapter 3 Wade in the Social Media Water: Our Community Online This chapter examines the rise of social media and how it – and the commercialism that embraced it first – has becomes influential in how we communicate. The chapter name is a variation of the old Negro spiritual “Wade In The Water”, meant in this instance as a metaphor for how people wade in the “waters of information” — at different banks, different time of day, and for different purposes. Therefore our experiences become a number of opinions with varying degrees of communication skills that can hard to discern online. Example Thought: Everyone can offer their opinion on social media, but that opinion can spread. That can be dangerous for small businesses (Memories Pizza in Indiana, Amy Baking Company in Arizona) and individuals (#CecilTheLion)
- Chapter 4 Everything Sticks: How Technology Can Change The Scope of Our Common Sense and Ethics The character Selina Kyle/Catwoman, as portrayed by Anne Hathaway in The Dark Knight Rises, once complained that starting fresh in life is hard because “everything sticks”. This chapter will take a look at how various everyday tech – from our devices to analytics- can correlate information, but a key influencer, the data being examined, shifts separately of common sense and intuition. decisions. For people and issues that are considered “data” in a debate, pitfalls appear when we have issues communicated through technology and media. Example Thought: People can be more analytical about their lives – their health, their choices in how they spend their money, map places they need to go. But the capability does not mean life is better for everyone. The work behind a benefit has to be done to achieve a benefit from what is being measured.
- Chapter 5 Asymmetric Truth: When Online Opinions Become Our Real Thoughts In Life Communication can create perceived correlations when there is more to it, but what we convey online does not always reveal offline influences. This chapter will cover how asymmetric information can develop, and how our opinions become facts when all the facts are not presented. Twitter usage will be among the topics examined, as are examples of how social issues are rooted in asymmetric experiences for various people. The chapter will also speak to how we process information in specific and diffuse ways, with a theme that we must seek information where possible.
- Chapter 6 Culture: How We Identify Ourselves How we see ourselves influences how we communicate to the world. This chapter will examine how culture influence us as individuals, and how that shapes our discussions online. Notes about how personal experience, faith, psychology, and cultural issues such as women’s rights influence how we express our ideas online will be included. Examples: Hashtag campaigns for women’s issues in professional careers are examined — #ILookLikeAnEngineer, #gamergate
- Chapter 7 Art: When We Dream of Life (and Life Becomes A Dream) The chapter examines instances in Art and Entertainment regarding how we express ourselves online.
- Chapter 8 Politics: The Art of Deciding Our Values, Our Fate, and Our Voice Examples in politics and activism regarding how we communicate online – why our debates need varied voices to make progress, and an examination of social bottlenecks to communication.
- Chapter 9 Passing Knowledge: Organizing How You Listen, Explain, and Share Ideas Tips on how to assess the media you ingest online and how to review content for misleading or limited information. Some tips will be based on analytic practices and will include social media platforms to help people select tools to appreciate the groups they choose to associate with online.
- Chapter 10 In a Crowd Alone: Being Aware of How We Relate to People Tips on how to to deal with people with our devices and behavior. We are always communicating, just like our devices – when do we to know when we are dealing with people in a straightforward manner.
- Chapter 11 What to Keep In Mind When Advocating – Tips on what to look for when giving your message (and for marketers, small businesses, and nonprofits, how to look at context & metrics with a message).
- Chapter 12 Never Throw Rocks And Hide Your Hands: How To Debate and Discuss Safely – Educate yourself on communicating safely online – what to look for from individuals online and off – the character and quality of posted material must align to be truthful.
Why these books are important
These books are important to me as way to engage people on seemingly different topics that are yet related ideas – much of analytics is related to context and communication online. Breakthrough Measures will cover best practice in analysis, while It Got Back To The Wrong People offers people a way to vet the ideas that they encounter online and choose to discuss.
I wanted to introduce books that could benefits others through some best practices from my experiences and maybe shift debates so that people can have better conversations. I’ve incorporated aspects of these experiences in my marketing presentations, but I wanted a more dedicated platform to talk about best practices.
Details on what the funds will go towards
Ok folks, here’s the details on how the funds will be used.
- The books will be published via Bookbaby.
- Perks are the books themselves, plus opportunities for workshops to be donated to a group of your choosing.
- Funds will cover book expenses (through Bookbaby – roughly $1200 to cover an initial run of 200 books), an editor to help review both books (est $1500/each), a designer who is starting work on the book covers ($400/each), two banners for conferences ($500/each), a dedicated website for the books (est $300), and marketing via paid search marketing via Linked In, Facebook, and Adwords.
- The funds will also allow a dedicated budget for marketing the books consistently through 2017 and into 2018.
There are Zimana funds earmarked for the project as well. Another Zimana product, an analytics app, is well underway. It will provide small businesses another way to manage expenses accurately, based on analytics.
Another issue, albeit personal, is the replacement of the “company car” (The current car is a nearly 16 year old Ford Focus with over 233,000 miles as of this writing – vehicle was kept during graduate school, working, and while starting Zimana 8 years ago to keep start up costs low. New speaking opportunities that require travel is now driving up wear and the need to replace it).
Thus any support for this project would be well appreciated, because additional resources can be used to help complete several tasks with more financial ease and ensuring better quality on the books!
Your contribution will make a difference in two major ways:
- The world needs a communication book to help it understand how fake news and continual digital communication has altered trust among people, and to take action on making it better. It Got Back To The Wrong People will help folks.
- Small and medium size businesses need an up-to-date marketing analytics book, and it has been awhile since such a book has been on the market. Breakthrough Measures will deliver a solid book that will help businesses compete cost-effectively to develop digital budgets. As options become more complex, a simple guide is needed. Breakthrough Measures is that guide.
I have a really great business background – I included video so you can see and hear me, as well as to get to know me professionally. I am also uploading a few images that reflect the past work I have accomplished, so you know that this project’s milestones will be delivered.
Risks & Challenges
Right now the only key risk is managing time well through this year. 3 workshops are already scheduled, so I have to prepare those. I am also working with a few clients and conducting developer work on an app that will create complementary services. But the book project will be a success for several reasons:
- I have worked under pressure before, so dedicate focus is at the core of this project from the start. I am adding communication tools (Slack, Evernote) to be efficient. Evernote is used to speed up the time it takes to do the dictation and refine the text. Slack will be used with the designer to manage the book.
- I have experience not only writing but in editing, I have been an associate editor of business book reviews for Small Business Trends, so I know what goes into a nonfiction and business book. I have also been a technical editor for two Pearson/Que publications, and consulted on books authored by Ramon Ray (The Small Business Guide To Facebook Marketing) and Marcus Hammonds ( God, Technology, and Us).
- There are podcast opportunities ahead, and I will be presenting at three conferences where I can build interest for the books.
- I also have support from the sites who I have contributed over the last 5 years.
Donate a Pierre-Can-Help
You can donate this perk to a favorite non-profit or a small business of your choice (no Mulit-Level Marketing businesses). I am more than happy to provide a tailored workshop to explain a social media platform. This is a $250 value for $65, so you are really receiving a good deal for this perk!
Other Ways You Can Help
If you just can’t contribute, you can help by sharing where possible. Getting the word out gives feedback and offers new ideas, so sharing is certainly welcome.
HAPPY FRIYAYYYY EVERYONE!
Hey all! Today in JMH ‘news’ I’d like to invite you to a wonderful afternoon of inspiration on Saturday, November 14th in the lovely Downtown Elgin!
The BEYOND THE VISION TOUR with Life Coach Renee Jefferson Smith (from Houston)
Why Chicago? – Renee was one of my very first graphic design clients 8 years ago. She’s been there for me, and me here through so many business experiences, family changes and life-changing moments. It’s time for us to meet!
Why the Tour? – Renee has a very valuable career and business background. It’s time for her to go on the road and share with ladies, and girls what has led her to her success today.
Why Downtown Elgin? – I am absolutely in love with the community and small business atmosphere that is live and well in Elgin. It is close to my hometown of Hanover Park, where I am trying to work with the village to create that same feel. The studio in which we will host this event is absolutely epic, and is owned by a wonderful woman, Ola.
Why Honor Dr. Bernada? – The tour would not be possible, if I did not have one of my number one mentors, cheerleaders, and supporters right there with me. It is on this day, I will give thanks and praise to a woman who has taught me about self love, courage, faith, relationships and the act of serving God and the community. This day will allow me to give back to her organization with a financial blessing, as well as a blessing from deep within my heart. She has climbed mountains to achieve many degrees and start a wonderful foundation, which my daughter was recipient of many blessings at a young age – The Princess Within Foundation.
Dr. Bernada has truly inspired me to live beyond my vision, and with that, I wish to invite you to do the same!
We hope you can join us – tickets are required!
Learn more as we approach this very special event!
See you soon!
Grab your ticket today for one of the most special events of this new season we are in:
Today, in Chicago (burbs) we are doing something a bit different! A casual meet-up (kids/or no kids) all are welcome! We’ll bee at Green Valley Golf Range from 9:30-2:30 so come on by, for a few minutes, or a few hours! 🙂 Mini golf and ice cream is around $6-7ish
by Julie M. Holloway
· · ·
This year I set out to discover my “true” WHY. After much artistic and internal exploration, I found these simple words lit up my every day “let your soul sparkle.”
I am Julie Holloway (best known as JMH). I am an artist, author and graphic designer. For 16 years I worked in corporate America only to realize I did not quite fit in. My calling has always been my art and living a colorful lifestyle. I can finally say that after 38 years on earth, I am able to do that. I live and work from my home in Hanover Park, IL and I am on a continual journey of making sure that the work I am doing aligns with my “WHY”.
A few years ago, I went through a tumultuous journey of being slightly abused by my last boss. He was very controlling, rude, argumentative and demanding. I could not thrive while working for him no matter how hard I tried. Out of the sheer need to voice my experiences of wanting so badly to be a full-time entrepreneur, to ultimately wanting to bless others with my “quit story,” I began to write my first book, an inspirational business anthology titled The Entrepreneur Within You (TEW), and we just launched the third volume! I want people to know that, “Dreams are REAL, and that sometimes, success is the best REVENGE for the ultimate challenge.”
I went to The School of The Art Institute of Chicago for one year, quit, and never jumped into the art industry as a career. About seven years ago, I finally made the jump back into my passion for art and design. A cousin in Chicago asked me to design a logo, so I bought a program off of Craigslist for $50 and taught myself graphic design. I started freelancing, and my business grew from the ground up. I’ve now been able to include my other artistic talents, drawing and painting, into my design business. I do get burned out from time to time because being an entrepreneur is hard work, but I’m learning daily how to be better at what I do and I’m working to become an even better mother and wife.
After leaving a corporate job to start my business, I had to become a salesman, bill collector, accountant, financial planner, and marketer, when I really just wanted to focus on my artwork and graphic design. As entrepreneurs, we want to do it all, but sometimes that isn’t possible. I’ve been very lucky to have a lot of positive and influential mentors, friends and family members. I’m very thankful, and I try to repay the support they’ve given me by creating a strong entrepreneurial community with my book series, TEW. Aside from coffee, I need a strong network and the support of my family, which I’ve been lucky to have.
Julie M. Holloway is an artist based in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. She is the founder of JMH Cre8ive Solutions, a boutique graphic design agency and is the curator of a book series titled The Entrepreneur Within You. She loves coffee, collaborating and hanging with family and friends. Learn more about her creative endeavors at www.tewyou.com,www.juliemholloway.com and www.jmhcre8ive.com or contact her at email@example.com or by phone at (630) 855-3351.
A FAVORITE QUOTE:
“If the creative artist worries if he will still be free tomorrow, then he will not be free today.”
– Salman Rushdie